Sunday, June 7, 2009

Birds, Frogs, and Bunnies, OH MY!

So it seems that I have the Wild Kingdom in my backyard. Wednesday, Malorie came in the house waving around a dead bird. YUCK! Of course I made her, her sister, and their playmate Calvin, wash their hands immediately. Thursday, Miranda found a baby rabbit, and it died shortly after she found it. It appears that our dog, Missy, got to it first. We discovered a rabbit's nest in a bush in our backyard, and have since been trying to keep the dog and the kids away from it. Not an easy task. Friday, Ted found a frog in the backyard. Miranda just had to hold it, and it pee-ed all over her hands. Again...YUCK! Then Malorie wanted to hold it, and of course then Calvin...As Ted passed it over the fence to Calvin, it pee'ed on Ted too. Disgusting. I made everyone wash up really good. I never knew a frog could pee such a large amount so many times in a row.

Then, Saturday, we decided to adopt a rabbit for the kids. They really wanted to keep one of the babies from our yard, but we learned that is not a good idea. I found out that Pet's Mart in Rochester Hills was have a bunny adoption, so we gathered the kids and went to it. There was only one bunny left, and he was HUGE! I swear he stood at least 2 1/2 feet tall. I was concerned about having a place large enough for him, so we skipped out on him and went to the Michigan Humane Society around the corner where we found a cute 3 1/2 lb. female bunny. She is tan, spayed, and 8 1/2 months old. We named her Marley.

We spent a lot of time purchasing what we need for her, and learning how to take care of her. It is going to be more work than we initially thought, but Ted is going to help me. Missy, the dog, will not stop sniffing at the pour thing. Everytime we let Marley have some free time out of the cage, Missy has to be held or she chases her everywhere. Missy is small too, and can pretty much go wherever Marley goes. Ted says we should just let her chase her, but I strongly disagree. I feel they need to be slowly brought together. This ought to be interesting.

The kids want to hold Marley all of the time. This is also going to be interesting. We keep explaining to them that rabbits think they have fallen prey when they are held. I guess it's going to take time for them to learn. We purchased locks for the cage so the kids cannot get into it while we are not near to watch.

So now we have a dog, a fish, and a rabbit. What's next?

3 comments:

  1. you definitly have an animal kingdom going on Monica!!! Kind of funny about the frog with the bladder issues!! it was probably frightened!!! Did the girls freak out after the frog peed on them??!! I know Molly would have!!!! Sounds like you have a very fun house!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well now I know you are just as crazy as I am!! LMAO...maybe that is why we are such good friends!! Good Luck!! Gotta come by and see Wild Kingdom for myself!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soooo ahhh, Did you lose interest in this or what? Blogging, that is.

    ReplyDelete